I WOULD LIKE TO ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TAKE PART IN THIS COMPETITION.
This is the text of the letter that Ngee Ann Polytechnic’s School of Humanities sent to our school:
[We are] pleased to invite students from your school to take part in our inaugural bilingual writing competition, ‘Write Away’. The competition is sponsored and supported by Media Development Authority (MDA). The competition aims to create in young Singaporeans a sense of belonging in our country. The competition also seeks to harness the potential of young writers of children’s literature and to promote bilingualism.
Participants can write about their own lives, focusing on a person, place or event in Singapore that has been important to them. They can express themselves through various forms such as a diary entry, letter, blog or story.
- The theme for this year’s competition is ‘Home is Where the Heart is’.
- Entries can be submitted in English or Chinese.
- They must be written for children between the ages of 4 and 8.
- The competition will comprise 2 divisions- English and Chinese, and there are 2 categories- Secondary and Post-secondary- in each division.
- Each category has a first, second and third prize as well as 5 special prizes.
That’s the main text of the letter. I though it would be good for you to read as it is an example of real situational writing. The closing date for the competition is the 31st of January, 2008. So work on this over the holidays, and submit your entries to me when school reopens. I will hand them over to the poly for you.